Thursday, October 21, 2010

SOS Children's Village

Yesterday was my first break from the routine of HIV Clinic all week. I went with three of the volunteers from Baylor to visit the Botswana SOS Children's Village. There are 247 children who live at the village.  They are mainly orphans who have no family who can care for them.  They live in groups of 10-12 in a house with a "mother" and  assistant mother who care for the children. There are 16 houses in total.

There are three villages in Botswana.  The one which I visited in Tlokweng, as well as Serowe and Francistown.

The youth leader was kind enough to give us a tour of their facility and we brought some small gifts for the children.  (Which almost caused one of the volunteers to be trampled by the kids).  Overall it was a great visit and a way to connect with other organizations working in Botswana.

SOS Villages are present in 132 countries around the world and they advocate for the rights of children.

Disappointingly, I forgot my camera, so I wasn't able to get any pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment